Russet Mold

Russet Mold

This appears to be a normal rust stain formed by iron-rich water trickling across the stone for ages.

Russet Mold

XP 100 ()

Unaligned Medium ()

Initiative +2


AC 8

hp: 9 (2d8)

Immunity: Bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage; Cold, fire, necrotic, poison, and psychic damage; all conditions

Vulnerability: Acid damage

Speed: 0 ft.

Area Attack—Spores: automatic hit (range 5 ft. radius; all creatures in radius). Hit: each target must make a successful DC 12 Con saving throw or take 2d6 poison damage and become poisoned. While poisoned, a creature repeats the saving throw at the end of each of its turns. On a successful save, the poisoned condition ends; on a failed save, the creature takes another 2d6 poison damage. A creature that dies from this poison damage reanimates 24 hours later, transformed into a vegepygmy commoner. The spores remain active in a dead creature’s body, so if a creature is restored to life before it reanimates, it is still poisoned and it continues taking poison damage until the poison is neutralized magically or by a successful save.


TRAITS

Camouflage: From a distance of 10 feet or more, russet mold is indistinguishable from the normal rust stains that are often seen in damp dungeons and . On closer inspection (within 10 feet), it can be identified with a successful DC 15 Int (Nature) check. Once characters are familiar with it (they’ve had a prior encounter with russet mold), it can be identified automatically, but this identification still requires close inspection.


ECOLOGY

Environment:

Organization: Solitary or patch (2–5)

Russet mold thrives in dark, wet areas. It looks nearly identical to the rust streaks and stains that can be found in every cave or dungeon where water trickles down the walls and forms puddles on the floor. When a living creature gets within 5 feet, however, the russet mold “coughs” out a burst of spores that forms a cloud 15 feet in diameter, centered on the russet mold. This cloud contains a deadly, mutagenic poison that not only kills creatures unfortunate enough to be caught in it, but transforms them into vegepygmies.

A patch of russet mold is 5 to 7 feet in diameter.

Acid is by far the most effective way to kill a patch of russet mold. If none is available, alcohol can also be used, but it does just 2 points of damage per gallon, or 1 point per gallon if beer or wine are used.