NecroWonderland - In Search of Nothing
The Dolls are attracted by the reflection of a church bell and are on their way to investigate. This reflection has also attracted the attention of the local Necromancer, The King of a Thousand Faces, who has sent his minions to investigate, including his Servant, Raethix.
The reflection is a result of the Doll Nil, who has escaped another Necromancer, Grandmother. She moved the boards blocking the bell out of the way, causing the reflections. She has also taken to ringing the bell once in the evening, in hopes of attracting any other “Free” Dolls.
- The Bridge
A vertical bridge that has been raised by some unknown force. It spans a wide, deep river of sludge and oil slick, and cannot be crossed at this point. The dolls can solve it, walk around it, or shoot it down.
- The Barricade
A wall of broken cars and concrete under assault by an undead battalion answering to nobody knows. This seems to be a weak point in the wall itself, because the undead are clustered here and there are other undead fighting to keep them from getting over. It is too much for the dolls to fight. The Dolls can risk jumping from a taller building across the wall, go to find another, easier entrance, or activate a cache of pre-war explosives found nearby and shift the focus of the battle elsewhere and infiltrate in the time being.
Nil’s hiding place. A once-neat little chapel surrounded by modern buildings, it survived most of the battering from the war, only sustaining one major injury, a hole in the roof caused by a mortar shell. Nil discovered it could be entered from another nearby building, by rappelling down with a gun she secured… somehow.
The Players’ actions and choices affect what they find in the Church.
- If they took both shortcuts (walk around) When they arrive, the Church is the finished scene of a gory battle. Nil has been captured by Raethix and her minions, and is being taken to The King. This is the worst ending, although there is still room to perhaps save her. However, Raethix has left minions behind to deal with any other curious Dolls.
- If they took one shortcut The Church is currently in the middle of a battle. The zombies are battering down the door, and Raethix and several of her hounds have found their way in through the ceiling. Nil attempts to save her puppy, and the players have a chance to save it or let it get captured. In any case, Raethix is obviously evil.
- If they took no shortcuts The Church is silent, although Raethix’s hunting party is a few hours out. Nil will wait to see if they are not hostile, and then tell them how to enter, if they don’t discover it on their own. Perhaps there are some straggler undead roaming around? Raethix will arrive after the Players have made contact with Nil, and will lay siege to the Chapel. However, since she hasn’t had the time to do a full sweep, more of her minions are missing. After the battle, Nil doesn’t want to leave her new home, but can be convinced.
In both of the latter endings, Raethix will choose safety over death, knowing that she is more valuable to her master alive and knowledgeable than dead. If she is killed, her body will most likely be recovered by The King.
- Nil Captured before, Players Dead
Raethix has made off with Nil and destroyed her treasure. The Dolls were ambushed and killed by Raethix’s minions, never to know what could have been.
- Nil Captured before, Players Alive
Raethix has made off with Nil and destroyed her treasure. The Dolls have a chance to rescue her, but they will have to pursue Raethix through the city and fight her and her minions.
- Nil Captured, Players Dead
Raethix and her minions make work out of the Dolls and captured Raethix. Their bodies are taken to The King, who may give them new life as servants.
- Nil Captured, Players Captured
Possibly the worse “survivable” ending. Raethix and her minions have crippled and captured the Dolls and Nil, and are dragging them bound in chains to The King.
- Raethix defeated
Beating her minions and chasing off Raethix, the Dolls have managed to stand their ground and see the Necromancer’s Doll off. Good end? Although Nil will probably have to relocate, at least.