HomePage

Welcome Adventurers!

Here our intrepid Poly PCs can record their notes, read up on past sessions, and generally store all the great in-game stuff that might be forgotten.

Current Adventure The Grinning Idol is a homebrew adventure loosely set in The Forgotten Realms. A demon haunts the party’s steps, a new companion joins their ranks, and they seem to find trouble wherever they go!
Current Location Black Hollow - Just arrived from defeating Sally Mudwallow
Upcoming Sessions
Session 146/26 @ 7pm
Session 157/10 @ 7pm
Session 167/24 @ 7pm
Session 178/7 @ 7pm
Session 188/21 @ 7pm

Locations, PCs, & Rules

Explored LocationsPlayer Characters (PCs)The Rules

The Xvart Caves
The Lonely Torch
Whitesparrow
The Moon Tower
The Witch's Hovel
The Feywild
The Black Swamp
Black Hollow
The Old Woods
Gillamoor

Chris:

Matt:

Megan:

Shawn:

House Rules

Campaign Log Entries

2017-06-20 Triumph in the Swamp

Following their first true meeting with Onuxar, the party travels South, hoping to take on the witch face-to-face. However, while following a likely trail to her hovel, they came upon an otherworldly sight!

Barador recognized a ghostly visage of his lost Illyria, seemingly appearing from a wall of mist. Then Gotum saw his long-dead cousin Ootoz standing near her. While they could not hear or be heard, the party attempted to communicate as best they could.

While this occurred, the party was attacked by a growling [[Shadow_Mastiff?]], which circled the heroes and their visitors. In fact, it seemed able to jump in and out of the shadows. The party took down the mongrel, but by that time the connection to the other world seemed to fade and it took the two lost women with it.

Recovering quickly from this shocking revelation, the adventurers traveled on and eventually arrived outside The Witch's Hovel. After a quick investigation around the outside (it had changed size and shape a bit since they last visited), they made their way through the entrance.

Sally greeted them as they entered, and almost immediately Gotum tossed a handaxe at her. Her image turned out to be an illusion and she eventually dropped her guise, revealing her green skin and ugly countenance. She taunted them as they moved unsteadily through her strange home, filled with odd artifacts.

She escaped the room and went down a trapdoor, but not before loosing a [[Scarecrow?]] and an [[Ettercap?]] on them, disguised as a suit of armor and a treasure chest, respectively. Once the battle ended, they found a strange book, and then descended the trapdoor ladder.

Sally Mudwallow stood atop a slanted fountain running black water. She conjured a [[Water_Weird?]] to defend her, but each in the party tossed water from the Fey fountain into its reservoir, and eventually Sally lost hold of her control of it and it dissipated. She too vanished once her connection of the Material Plane (through the tainted fountain) was broken.

She left behind her a Pearl of Power, an Immovable Rod, a Ring of Water Walking, and a Horn of the Silver Wood. The party felt like they may have been given these by some Fey presence in payment for their efforts against this dark-aligned Fey.

Leaving the hovel, they saw it melt into the swamp behind them. It’s time to return to town and see how things are going in [[Dark_Hollow?]]…maybe a reward lies in their future?

Session Summary:

Combat and Loot:

Combatant(s)XPLoot
[[Shadow_Mastiff?]]450xp0gp
[[Scarecrow?]]200xp0gp
[[Ettercap?]]450xp0gp
[[Water_Weird?]]700xp0gp
Sally Mudwallow700xp0gp
Quest(s)Any Needed xp0gp
Total2500xp0gp

Regardless of total XP, all players have auto-leveled to 2700xp and are Level 4!

DM’s Note:

Seems like you guys could use a nice, dry vacation!

Add Comment

2017-06-02 Xvarts and Demons, Oh My

After avoiding a net trap (well, all but Gotum), our adventurers set forth to find help from the warlock said to live in the Northern-most part of The Black Swamp. Long story short…they were misled and tricked into fighting a tribe of [[Xvart?]]s and their foul minions, [[Giant_Bats?]] and [[Giant_Rats?]]. There were some warlocks, but they weren’t of a mind to be helpful.

The party nearly died from fire magic, but near the end of their battle, a mysterious force protected them and they made a hasty retreat to an empty cave. There they learned that Onuxar, a demon, had protected them from his prison in the Grinning Idol. He told them much about the [[Xvart?]]s and their coming battle with the hag. He also offered his help if they would like it again. Gotum seems willing, Barador is non-plussed. Astele’s view is unclear.

Session Summary:

Combat and Loot:

Combatant(s)XPLoot
6 [[Giant_Bats?]]300xp0gp
4 [[Giant_Rats?]]100xp0gp
5 [[Xvart?]]s125xp0gp
1 [[Xvart_Warlock_of_Raxivort?]]200xp0gp
Quest(s)0xp0gp
Total725xp0gp

DM’s Note:

He sure seems like a friendly demon!

Add Comment

2017-05-29 Vengence is Served

Upon waking from their long rest in the tower of The Lonely Torch, Barador discovers that he has the Grinning Idol in his own pack now. Also, Gotum makes a connection between the claw he has been carrying (found under Ootoz’s body) and the claws of the foul [[stirge?]]s!

After the party descends into the depths of the tower basement, they discover several vast, crumbling chambers. One of the rooms contains some Dust of Disappearance.

They face down some more Night Blades and rescue Ralavaz from torture in the mud pit. He professes that he has changed his ways and hopes to convince his brother Gardren to turn away from crime as well.

The whole party confronts Gardren, better known as [[The_Night_Lord?]], and a battle ensues. After knocking the bandit leader out cold, they’re accosted by the ancient king who has apparently warped Gardren’s mind. Barador is able to turn the ghost with holy words, but the ghost has other plans and brings the whole tower down around the party as they flee from the building.

Finally, our heroes turn in [[The_Night_Lord?]] to the sheriff and she pays them the gold they’re due for the bounty. While most of the group wishes to move on, Gotum convinces them to stay until Gardren can be tried and hung for his crimes against not only the community of Whitesparrow, but also his cousin Ootoz and the rest of his clan. Astele picked up the bandit leader’s blade, Nightculler.

A month passes with little intrigue but the eventual execution. However, one night, a little girl calls out for help from her burning home. The party follow her and find no fire. In fact, the little girl turns out to be some kind of powerful fey creature, upset with their delayed quest to defeat the witch (who she calls a “hag”) of The Black Swamp. She threatens to slay THEM unless they attend to their quest. She does offer them a guide, a [[Sylvan_Manx?]], who can take them quickly to the swamp via hidden feywild ways, and also an Amulet of Truth, which will show them truth when presented with illusion.

Arriving back in The Black Swamp, the party sets out to seek the help of the warlock that Sally said might help them.

Session Summary:

  • Defeated all of the remaining Night Blades and Gardren, [[The_Night_Lord?]].
  • Collected the bounty on Gardren (100 gp) and saw justice down for his many crimes.
  • Were NOT killed by a high-level fey and headed back into The Black Swamp.

Combat and Loot:

Combatant(s)XPLoot
6 Bandits150xp0gp
1 Stirge25xp0gp
Gardren450xp40gp, Nightculler, 3× [[Potion_of_Healing?]]
Quest(s)500xp100gp
Total1125xp140gp

DM’s Note:

I’m sure [[Bob_the_Gargoyle?]] will be fine!

Add Comment

2017-05-15 Bloodbath in The Lonely Torch

Our heroes nearly died in a pitched battle between the surprised Night Blades and their Stirge neighbors!

In serious need of a rest, the party barricaded the main hall of the tower, retreated upstairs, and defended themselves from any additional attacks. And by “the party,” I mean Astele, who played super sniper while the others rested. She befrended [[Bob_the_Gargoyle?]], but frankly he wasn’t able to help too much.

Fully rested, Gotum and Barador are now ready to rejoin Astele and delve deeper into the citadel.

Session Summary:

  • Defeated a ton of Stirges and Night Blades!
  • Astele single-handedly held off some returning Night Blades from the upper floor of The Lonely Torch.

Combat and Loot:

Combatant(s)XPLoot
8 Bandits & 3 Thugs550xp330gp
10 Stirges200xp0gp
Total750xp330gp

DM’s Note:

Hey, you didn’t die, did you? Any landing you can walk away from, right?

Add Comment

2017-05-01 A Cunning Ambush

Our fearless party arrived in Whitesparrow with little fanfare and headed straight for the local public house. Inside Gotum had a weird mishap with some ale and Astele got sticky fingers again. Fortunately they didn’t cause too much of a ruckus.

The bartender directed them to meet Sheriff [[Ruth_Willowmane?]] who works out of the back of the pub. She told them about their recent (and past) troubles with [[The_Night_Blades?]] up at The Lonely Torch. She also introduced them to a gnome named [[Pixiewicket?]], who gave them some first-hand accounts of the bandit gang’s habits.

This provided our adventurers with enough intel to set a deadly ambush for a group of bandits leaving The Lonely Torch. The party dispatched them, but not before capturing one alive and torturing him for a little bit of information. This was certainly a gruesome turn for the, at least feasibly, good-aligned party…

Now the party stalks the chambers of the The Lonely Torch (after avoiding some [[Tangleweed?]] with a home remedy and scaling the tower wall with [{Boris]]’s Rope of Climbing. They’re just about to attack an unsuspecting couple of guards…

Session Summary:

  • Arrived in Whitesparrow
  • Met some useful NPCs to help them catch [[The_Night_Lord?]]
  • Defeated 4 Night Blade thugs

Combat and Loot:

Combatant(s)XPLoot
4 Thugs400xp68cp
Total400xp68cp

DM’s Note:

Combat not challenging, you say…be careful what you wish for ;-)

Add Comment

2017-04-29 Highway Highjinks

After speaking to [[Jados?]] the bartender again and getting some directions, the party headed Northwest toward Whitesparrow to find [[The_Night_Lord?]] of [[The_Night_Blades?]].

Horseback travel became quite a challenge for Boris, as his horse was usually too scared of him to let him ride it. He even threw fire at it! Eventually it ran off for some reason…

While traveling, the party came across a [[Displacer_Beast?]] and managed to take it down with their quick wits and overpowering force. Its pelt will make a nice trade good with the right crafter.

They also helped a sorcerer down from a tall tree at the behest of his [[Homunculus?]]. A weird encounter to be sure!

One night the party was attacked by bandits claiming to be part of [[The_Night_Blades?]]. They dispatched them easily and set off on their final leg toward Whitesparrow.

Session Summary:

  • Headed off toward Whitesparrow from Gillamoor
  • Boris scared away one of the horses
  • Took down a [[Displacer_Beast?]] (took its pelt)
  • Helped a wizard and his [[Homunculus?]] (100xp)
  • Defeated a band of bandits who might be connected to [[The_Night_Blades?]], but seemed kinda weak

Combat and Loot:

Combatant(s)XPLoot
[[Displacer_Beast?]]700xp0gp
8 bandits of [[The_Night_Blades?]]150xp1gp
Quest Rewards100xp0gp
Total950xp1gp

DM’s Note:

There is some weird stuff going on….and also I had to make up a LOT of stuff for this session :P

Add Comment

2017-04-17 Lifted Curses

After some preparatory scouting, our brave party took the fight to whatever was infesting Jalin’s house. It turned out to be a ton of [[Boggle?]]s hidden all over the place. After an extended whack-a-mole session, the party emerged from the house covered in weird oils, [[Boggle?]] innards, and a few superficial wounds.

Not stopping for small talk with Jalin, the party put the pieces together and ran over to [[Garvin?]]’s house next door. The adventurers pretty thoroughly frightened the man and his daughter, [[Lia?]], making them think they were being attacked by trolls. However, they soon witnessed the party sparring with the invisible fiend who had been stalking their house until now.

The party eventually knocked out the creature, who turned out to be an invisible [[Noren?]] wearing the Ring of the Invisible Fiend. Unfortunately, no sooner than they had secured [[Noren?]] in rope, Gotum put on the ring and immediately become a hostile threat! Some quick thinking on Boris’s part lured the insane Gotum toward a never-ending pint of beer, which he drank down with surprising focus. This gave his companions time to tie him up too and rescue him from the ring’s influence. Boris took charge of the acursed item, stowing it among his other magical items.

After confirming their suspicions about his bargain with a confused [[Noren?]], the party threatened the rest of the truth about his misdeeds out of him. Barador arrested him and Boris was able to break the Magic Thread binding [[Lia?]] to her home’s foundation. However, the thread required a magical blade to cut it and the only available one, the Dagger of Cruelty wove it’s darkness into Boris while he learned to use its power.

The party reached a bit of a crossroads, on the one hand, eager to kill the witch and finish off her evil doings, on the other hesitant to re-enter the swamp, especially with so many questions remaining about who Sally is. Also, they did not feel the town could pay them well enough to carry out the deed. They did receive the promised payment from [[Elena?]] for the return of her son (100sp), however.

In order to improve their equipment, spend some loot, and generally relax a bit, the party traveled to Gillamoor on horseback. This proved difficult for Boris as his horse seemed always fractious when he tried to ride it.

Once in Gillamoor, they canvased the locals for information, but discovered next to nothing. However, Gotum did pick up a new bounty poster offering 100gp for the capture of a band of highwaymen. Will he or the others be tempted to disband the party and leave Barador to defeat the witch himself?

Session Summary:

  • Defeated the [[Boggles?]] infesting Jalin’s house
  • Rescued [[Noren?]] from the influence of the Ring of the Invisible Fiend (received the promised 100sp [10gp] from [[Elena?]])
  • Rescued [[Lia?]] from her inprisonment within her home
  • Arrested [[Noren?]] and took him to the town’s authorities
  • Swearing to return and defeat the witch, the party set off to resupply and recuperate in Gillamoor

Combat and Loot:

Combatant(s)XPLoot
8 [[Boggle?]]s200xp0gp
Quest Rewards1054xp60gp
Total1254xp60gp

DM’s Note:

Wow, that was a dense session, no wonder you’re level 3 now!!

Add Comment

2017-03-20 Clockwork Conclusion

At last, something reaches a conclusion for our party! They challenged Breena and she retaliated with some clockwork surprises. However, after some close calls (looking at you Boris), our adventurers and Varis triumphed over the [[Clockwork_Bruiser?]], [[Clockwork_Giant_Bat?]], and [[Clockwork_Panther?]]. Breena found herself skewered by Barador’s spear, a lesson in the use of his divine powers.

After some obvious self-destructy glowing started, the party followed Varis’s lead and jumped into a celestial moonbeam. Selune rewarded the adventurers for their good deeds and returned them dry and rested to The Witch's Hovel. Varis, it seems, had other duties to attend to.

The party quickly took up the chase after Sally, who appeared to be headed back into town. They followed suit and arrived in Black Hollow only to catch sight of a barn fire. It turns out that Jalin’s barn was in fact on fire. They helped put it out; however, the building was pretty much a total loss. Barador sensed the fire’s source as an evil presence that the party tracked to Jalin’s house. After a brief investigation (and a frazzled Jalin), they are set to flush out whatever is hiding in the shadows and creating this sticky black tar all over the house.

Torches ablaze, the party advances, back-to-back…

Session Summary:

Combat and Loot:

Combatant(s)XPLoot
Breena10xp350gp (gold and gems)
[[Clockwork_Bruiser?]]200xp0gp
[[Clockwork_Giant_Bat?]]100xp0gp
[[Clockwork_Panther?]]100xp0gp
Quest Rewards100xp0gp
Total510xp350gp

DM’s Note:

I’m really excited to see how you all approach the mysteries laid out in front of you!

Add Comment

2017-03-06 Moonlight Mystery

Our weary adventurers were taking a short break in The Witch's Hovel, when all of a sudden they were swallowed up by a huge moonbeam and transported to a bizarre magic-nullifying room!

After wandering through the tower and interrogating some [[Clockwork_Guard?]]s, they learned that A) they were on an island in an old lighthouse, B) the guards are not great conversationalists, and C) that somebody named Breena created them.

Traveling back up the tower, they met Breena and her Servitor clockwork servant. Barador quickly realized she was quite batty. While Breena was distracted, Astele’s Gloves of Pickpocketing showed their true colors and forced her to steal a sprocket from Breena. Very strange!

After being taken down the tower by Servitor (past a workshop with an unfinished dragon clockwork), the players reluctantly spent a few minutes in their rooms. Suddenly a weakness fell upon them and they discovered that another person was trapped there, even weaker than they.

After a battle with some [[Clockwork_Guard?]]s (and technically Servitor), they met Varis, elven acolyte of Selune. He claimed to be sent by his goddess to stop Breena’s use of the moon energy for her clockwork machinations. The party agreed to help stop her. They first wrecked the clockwork dragon and are now preparing to confront Breena, bring an end to her activities, and, hopefully, escape the tower!

Session Summary:

Combat and Loot:

Combatant(s)XPLoot
5 [[Clockwork_Guard?]]s250xp0gp
Servitor10xp0gp
Quest Rewards0xp0gp
Total260xp0gp

DM’s Note:

Another fun session, mechanical creatures and all!

Add Comment

2017-02-20 Encounter with the Witch

Our intrepid party, rested from their adventure in The Feywild, set off South in search of another elven fountain. However, a creature appeared, a [[Cockatrice?]], which lured them away from their path. “Lured” is the correct word, because after a short chase, it became clear that the creature, valuable for its blood, was in fact an illusion. They briefly encountered the witch, but she escaped on a [[Broom_of_Flying?]].

The party continued on steadfastly, though, and discovered The Witch's Hovel, just as [[Glendila?]] had drawn it for them almost a week prior. Upon searching the hovel, they discovered not only a lot of weird artifacts (which Gotum continually played with throughout the search), but also a young woman named Sally.

Sally shared that she was captured by the witch, chained up under her large table, then largely ignored. The party freed her from her shackles and she shared a number of important details about [[Noren?]]’s visit to the hovel some weeks or month ago. In addition she shared information about a potential rival of the witch’s: a warlock North of there, who might aid the party in their quest.

While the party looted the hovel (acquiring a Black Idol, an Orb of Water Finding, Gloves of Pickpocketing, the Tongue of the Tavern, and a Dagger of Cruelty), Sally slipped away. When the party pursued her, they ran into an image of the witch (that turned out to be another illusion) and 3 [[Swarm_of_Bats?]]! After a short battle, the party defeated the bats and boldly decided to stay the night in The Witch's Hovel.

Session Summary:

Combat and Loot:

Combatant(s)XPLoot
3 [[Swarm_of_Bats?]]150xp0gp
Quest Rewards100xp0gp
Total250xp0gp

DM’s Note:

What an interesting session! Many things were not what they seem…

Add Comment

More...

Define external redirect: Ruth Willowmane Xvart Scarecrow Xvart Warlock of Raxivort Lia Water Weird Tangleweed The Night Blades Jados Glendila stirge Cockatrice Boggle Clockwork Guard The Night Lord Giant Rats Shadow Mastiff Sylvan Manx Clockwork Bruiser Bob the Gargoyle Ettercap Dark Hollow Noren Swarm of Bats Giant Bats Pixiewicket Potion of Healing Elena Homunculus Garvin Broom of Flying Clockwork Giant Bat Displacer Beast Clockwork Panther Boggles