Yunus – Celebes (T1, E-3, R0) “suh-LEE-beez”
- “Mind the black hole…”
- “Ageless dehumanized lunatics”
- “Cautionary tale”
The planet of Celebes itself, the only sizable rocks in the system were destroyed following an incident some three thousand years ago when Celebean cosmonauts and technarchs were trying to manufacture a slipstream point. The inner planets, the only large jovian planet, and the sun collapsed into a black hole. Two subjovian planet, a K2 companion star, and a shoal of dim M stars and brown astrestressimals survived.
Now, only a few thousand beings navigate the wreckage of the system, many in ships or habs far in advance of all other vessels throughout the cluster… until something needs to be replaced. The inhabitants, most having lived on a chiliad scale of years due to longevity treatments, are in varying states of… shall we say, Celebeans claim fewer restrictions as to which and what number of worlds they live in.
- Like the socialable Secretary Gethin-Illig-Pharr of Ringtown, who spend their days tending vast blossom constructs that abruptly metamorphose into sensoscopic labyrinths or full-qualia simulations. Well, that’s what the Secretary says they do.
Cybernetic gear distributes one personality across a body and robot drones, or collect fragments of separate beings in one time-shared body. Very few Celebs are still humanly enough to interact with mortals from other systems; not after the post-human equivalent of 3000 years of World of Warcraft or invocation of Enochian spirits inside virtual spaces…
There is a rumor that habitats in the black hole’s Lagrange points are home to Celebs not so senescent as the rest, with long-term goals for the remains of their crushed dreams.
Connections to Mantis, System 1, and two or more unexplored systems. The ancient Celebean dream was access to slipspace beyond the chokehold of this or that pair of petty stars.
- Volcana restricts travel to this system due to fear of other civilizations stumbling over it and using its technologies to unintentional or nefarious ends.
- On the other hand, elements within Mantis and SysOneCo are aware and want access to it, the former for the slipstream technology and the latter for the medical innovations. With the exception of extant slipstream ships, both have been dependent on Volcana for this access… and smugglers.
- Mantis’s academic-military complex is the unique producer of sub-light starships. Though Mantis has a few neighboring stars to exploit without slipknot access, Celebes’ shoal of dim stars, kuiper objects and so on offer vast fields for Mantan investors and colonizers.
- Gaian telepaths and precogs find both the realm and the remaining inhabitants abhorrent, suffering psychic trauma from prolonged exposure. The Gaian Grand Council has proscribed travel to this place by Gaians.
Yunus: Celebesians are old, old, old. They have been tending their own gardens, real and virtual, since the incident that destroyed their world, their dreams, their future. Many old ships and space habitats were cannibalized in pursuit of projects none still understand. Those that remain are home to immortal child-men who speak gibberish, and that distractedly.
CAMPAIGN THEME FOR CELEBES
- WHAT do we mean by “Collapsed”? What is the nature of humanity, knowledge, or love among the refugees of this collapse?
PHYSICAL AND LUDIC QUESTIONS
- The resultant astrographical volume is very poorly described as a “star system” ; rather, navigation in Celebes space has parallels to an ocean awash in currents, prevailing winds, storms; studded with uncharted reefs and minefields, yet full of the treasures of a Collapsed civilization.
- Navigation and piloting rolls take any of a number of penalties, and may even work as attack rolls against the PCs’ ships.
- R0 indicates a system with a closed economic system of resources: the system neither need trade with outsiders NOR has substantial value to offer such outworlders. NB, a system’s genetic wealth and biomass interact with the system’s Environmental rating, say by putting an Aspect on the rating.
- All R0 volumes are not created equal. Without an ENVIRONMENT in the form of huge stations, moons and colonized planets, how are those few Celebeans even holding up a T1? Their bricolage, repairs, and trade relations follow from the wealth of their old junk to paw over. Sheer technomass to pick over
- T1 (previously T4) What is the relationship between current activity and activity from/in previous Collapses? How many people and how much mass of productive gear do you need to reboot a T4 civilization?
\ / \